Kombizone            For  Volkswagen  Projects  of  all  makes  and  Models  

Click here to edit subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > Kombi talk > Looking for Kombi??

Vance

Hi All,

I’m on the hunt for a Kombi or should I say the wife has told me I’m allowed to have a look around for one (I can just picture the looks on the bloke’s faces). I have never owned one but have always admired them and now that I have been given the ok to chase one down I’m keen to pursue this before the boss changes her mind! My preference is a splitscreen but see prices on Trade-Me are way over my budget but also see that nothing appears to be moving so my thinking is that they maybe overpriced and there could be hope yet?? Otherwise a bay window set up as a camper would be ideal. Would like to use straight away so would need to be mechanically sound and in reasonable condition. Looking to spend around $20-30k or maybe a little more for the right one & again I might be dreaming?? Please feel free to give any advice and hopefully there is someone that can help or point me in the right direction or tell me I need a Tui???

What do you think of kombi prices on trademe at present? Is whats being asked for realistic? What should I be able to pick a reasonable one up for???

Thanks Heaps

December 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

65Devy

For your budget best forget about a splitty, as they seem to go for around that for a project/doer-upper these days. The Bay prices have certainly risen over the last year, and i know one of the ones on TM at the moment, he turned down $50K (regretting it) so the original campers are, and always will be sought after. The bro and I purchased a 76 Westy a year ago privately for 30K , looking back that was a bargin! I'd go for a factory camper bay window, doesn't have to be mint, as you want to be able to use it and not worry about wear and tear. Take your time and don't rush into the first one you see, talk to a few people in the clubs and the repair/maintenance guys who get to see some good ones. Not everyone wants to list on TM as they can't be bothered with tyre kickers, so there are some good buys in the private sale department...

--

December 19, 2015 at 6:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vance

Thanks for the feedback 65Devy, really appreciated!

I gather however from your comments on your bargain purchase of Westy a year ago & how how prices have risen, that up to 30k may not get me there!! ie; TM listings heading towards the 40k bracket would be fairly reasonable at present???

Regarding talking to people that know a bit about kombi's, i have been doing just that with local VW mechanic (Colin) in Rotorua who has been a really good source of information & a great chat about all things Kombi, boy have I got allot to learn!

Finally, whats the pro's & cons of picking up kombi that isn't kited out as a camper (ie; transporter) and over time converting??? I would imagine it isn't too big a deal, initially a bit of ply and squabs for bed, chilly bin -fridge and a liitle gas cooker to get by. Would obviously not have the pop top but arn't there a few campers without pop tops???

Apologies for any silly comments as I am not kidding when I say I've got allot to learn

December 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

65Devy

Yes 30k will get you there, but it probably won't get you a nice Westy (which are the most desirable Bays in my opinon, closley followed by Devons). For example i know of a Bay window Dormobile that recently sold for 22k. There's nothing wrong with kitting out one as a camper, you'll have just as much fun in it, and you don't need a pop top. The other thing to remember is the "asking " price and the "eventually sold for" price on TM might be two different things, as I know one on TM at the mo is way over-priced (non camper). I dunno, just my 2 cents worth, maybe some of the "lurkers" might like to say something??

--

December 26, 2015 at 9:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

65Devy

Could this be the one?   http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1017509219

--

January 17, 2016 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vance
Nearly there with another one -hopefully. This one a beauty though. Thanks for your help/feedback too!
January 17, 2016 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.