Kombizone            For  Volkswagen  Projects  of  all  makes  and  Models  

Click here to edit subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > Kombi talk > Rear brake drum removal

Andrew

Hi everyone,

Can anyone suggest a quick, easy and best of all cheap way to remove a rear wheel brake drum. Mine rear wheel has seized (won't turn) after sitting for a few years - stupid me left teh hand brake on. Anyway didn't really want to go to expense of having to buy a pulling tool for what would be a once only use.  Any ideas for removing? Any Kombi owners in the Wellington area that may have a tool I could borrow for a small fee?

Cheers

May 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tedz

Hi Andrew, have you removed the wheel and hammered around the outside of the brake drum. Make sure you support the vehicle sufficiently prior to hammering the drum and also you could slacken off the brake shoe adjuster. 

Good luck.

cheers Tedz.

May 11, 2015 at 7:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew

Castle nut and wheel removed. Have hammered around the outside of the break drum quite a bit. Not sure how to get at the brake adjusters - aren't they inside the drum and obscured by the back plate? Or am I missing something....cheers

May 13, 2015 at 1:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tedz

Sorry Andrew, just realised yours is a splitty, the later models had access to the adjusters from the back of the backing plate. so that option isn't going to work.

There is a bogan option of reving the engine and dropping the clutch, with the wheel back on of course, but this is a last resort and can be hard on the running gear.

Another last resort is to cut away the backing plate, that buggers the plate but it is replaceable. Using a puller would buckle the plate too I think.

Or, just keep spraying WD-40 in the bolt holes and bashing away with the hammer. Don't worry about banging it too hard, it's cast and if it does break problem solved and it's replaceable too. Safety glasses and all that stuff too.

Good luck, Tedz.

May 14, 2015 at 5:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew

Cheers Tedz, will give that a crack..... WD-40 and a lot more bashing. Thanks for taking the time to drop me a rep0ly, much appreciated.

Regards

May 15, 2015 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tedz
Hey Andrew, just read this thread on the samba and there's a great idea of using the wheel bolt holes to use a long punch to free up the shoes. If you haven't already got it sorted. Cheers Tedz. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627939
May 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew

Thanks Tedz, great thread. I will give that suggestion a go as have not been able to budge the buggar yet.

June 6, 2015 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tedz

Just be aware of where the brake shoes are compared to the braking hardware. it would be better to replace some punch damaged shoes than an adjuster or wheek cylinder.

It does work as i have a barndoor chassis here that had a rusted up front hub, tried this method and got it free/rolling again.

Good luck, tedz.

June 7, 2015 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.